Honoring the Past * Treasuring the Present * Shaping the Future
For over a century Gatlinburg has been home to Pi Beta Phi Elementary, founded in 1912 by the Pi Beta Phi Fraternity (of women) as the Pi Beta Phi Settlement School. The school, though simple in its beginnings, was an attempt to give the mountain people of this area something better than the three-month school that had been available. During the 1940s, Sevier County gradually took over the administration of the school, constructing a new building for the elementary grades in 1949. Today Sevier County School System operates Pi Beta Phi Elementary School and it will continue to serve students in the heart of Gatlinburg for many years to come.